Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Paleo Pineapple Chicken Kabobs


This is a very versatile recipe since these kabobs can be cooked on the grill, in your grill pan on top of the stove, or in the oven. ( It rained so hard here yesterday that our 5pm WOD wasn't Helen after push press - it was today's 150 burpees for time. So......my kabobs went into the oven)

I stirred up a marinade:
3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
3 TBSP local honey
2 TBSP melted coconut oil
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 tsp Private Selection Signature Rub - Asian ( or any other rub high in sesame seed content)
1/2 tsp smoked sea salt
1/4 tsp ginger ( or more, to taste)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

I put a small amount of the marinade in a bowl and added 1 fresh pineapple, in chunks. I stirred it up, covered it, and put it in the fridge.

Next, I cut up 5 big healthy chicken breasts into chunks and stirred that up in the rest of the marinade. I covered this and put it in the fridge also. I left these 2 bowls in the fridge for 2-3 hours. (This is when I went to the box for the surprise 150 burpees.....)



Then I cut 2 green peppers into chunks. ( You can change things up here - mushrooms, zucchini, and yellow squash also work very well.)

I put 18 wooden skewers into a tall glass of water to soak for a few minutes.

I laid 2 big cookie sheets out and rubbed them with a little coconut oil.

I skewered the chicken, pineapple, and green pepper and laid them sideways all the way down my big cookie sheets. The marinade had, of course, gotten chunky as the coconut oil set up in the fridge, but I placed those chunks onto the skewers and drizzled a couple of TBSPs of the marinade over them, too. I had a couple of skewers that were just green pepper and pineapple - don't worry about getting every skewer exactly like the rest!

The last thing I did was cut a lime and squeeze it's juice over the skewers. (a lemon will work, too)

I placed them into a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. I took them out and grabbing one end of each skewer, gave them a flip, to turn them over a bit. I put them back in the oven and cooked them 10 minutes more. (These times might depend on the size of your chicken chunks...)


They were so delicious. Try this soon. ( and if you cover your pans with heavy-duty aluminum foil, clean-up will be a breeze! Grilling them is a breeze, too.)  There was a little bit of leftovers! I ate them for breakfast......

Kerry got a nice shot of Ger here from the burpee muscle-up WOD Friday at Central East Regionals. Ger is ranked 10th in the WORLD on the CrossFit leaderboard for 2013. There is no denying what an incredible athlete he is.
 Under his owl tattoo is a latin phrase that means, "In All Things Prepared." It's a great phrase to live by.  (proud mom moment)

No comments:

Post a Comment