Thursday, June 27, 2013

Butternut Squash Bread


This paleo butternut squash bread looks like a dessert, and it is, but without the coconut jam on top it's not very sweet. (sweet enough for all of us with a healthy "paleo sweet tooth." If you roast your own butternut squash, it works perfectly but the one in this photo is made with a BPA-free can of butternut squash. You can find it at Whole Foods, but it's not in the groceries in my part of the country, so I order mine from vitacost.com. It's good stuff and it makes this recipe so moist since it's all full of squash!


I rubbed an 8 x 8 glass baking dish with coconut oil.

I mixed the dry ingredients in a bowl:
1/2 cup coconut flour
3 TBSP almond flour
1 TBSP + 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt

I mixed the wet ingredients in a bowl:
1 can butternut squash   (OR 1 can pumpkin - it works great, just a little different taste)
5 eggs ( I set them out for a few minutes so they are not so cold)
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 TBSP raw honey

I mixed the dry ingredients into the wet ones with a wooden spoon and added:
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut chips (the big chunky coconut from nuts.com is my favorite)

I poured this mixture into the baking dish and cooked it in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. (Stick a knife in it - oven times vary and I like things pretty gooey.....)
You could do this as muffins, too, with a shorter oven time.


I love this photo from Central East 2013.  PLEASE don't giggle because his first S in his last name is covered up by the ring strap.......


No comments:

Post a Comment