Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Paleo Red Cabbage Slaw


I wanted to make something cold, raw, and crunchy as a side dish tonight, so I used my food processor. This made quick work for a Paleo Red Cabbage Slaw. I never really liked slaw before I switched to paleo eating - there was always too much gooey mayonnaise for my taste anyway - and I would pour off some of that unnecessary blobby stuff.  If I made it myself, I would increase the amount of cabbage and carrots to adjust for that.

So, if you are looking for mayonnaise, even paleo mayonnaise, this isn't the recipe for that.

But, this is a crisp, fresh, healthy, and clean side dish that you just might like.

I shredded one small head of organic red cabbage and 2 peeled organic carrots in my Cuisinart food processor. I poured these shredded vegetables into a large serving bowl as I went along. (see photo - that is not cheese in the photo! It looks like it, doesn't it?)

In a small bowl, I made up the "dressing," just enough to stick it together:
1/8 cup macadamia oil
1/8 cup olive oil (or you can just use 1/4 cup olive oil only)
1/8 cup Pom juice
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar (you've got to try some of the ones from The Flying Olive, guys!)
1/8 cup brown mustard
1/2 tsp caraway seeds 
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

I stirred this up with a whisk, and poured it on the red cabbage mixture and stirred with a wooden spoon. I set this in the fridge until my Garlic Chicken Thighs were ready to come out of the oven.



"Dinner's ready! Everyone? Let's watch the DVR of The Biggest Loser while we eat. Go, Bob! Look, he's got on a Rogue Fitness shirt!"

Next time, I'm dicing up and apple to add to it!

I


No comments:

Post a Comment