Saturday, February 2, 2013

Paleo Beef Tips


I hope lots of people have been signing up for the Open. I read that they had record numbers in the first 24 hours of sign-up. I expected that. It's going to be a very exciting season.

There was a quote on FaceBook the other day that said something like "An athlete is made in the kitchen and polished in the gym." I liked that, except it should say "box," right?

Ger sometimes asks me to make something we used to eat....Paleo. He recently asked for beef tips. I remembered making them with a brown gravy packet! (Just imagine what kind of ingredients are in there.....ugh) So, I had to work on how to make beef tips delicious for the way we eat now. I think I've got it! I am working on building that athlete in the kitchen - Ger takes care of the gym part! I like that he has so many people encouraging him. (Thanks, everyone!)

So, here's what I did:
I put 2 TBSP coconut oil in a skillet and cooked 3 lbs of grass fed beef tips. I set the meat aside.



In the same skillet I'd cooked the beef in, I added 2 diced sweet organic onions and cooked them over medium  heat until soft.
I added 2 diced green peppers. (I would have put in a red pepper if I'd had one) 
Next, I sprinkled in 2 TBSP coconut flour and 2 TBSP coconut cream concentrate. (These 2 ingredients helped to thicken things up and deepen the flavor)
I added 3/4 cup basic chicken stock. I stirred and simmered.
I also added 1 tsp smoked sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and 3 sprigs of fresh thyme. (I took the thyme out before we ate it.)
In the last couple of minutes I added 2 8 oz packages of fresh sliced shitake mushrooms. 
I added the beef tips back into this mixture and called for "dinner!"


Ger Loved It. So did Isaac. Cassie loved it. I loved it! 
 I hope you try it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment