Sunday, February 24, 2013

Paleo Elderberry Cocoa Bark



I've been reading about elderberry. Elderberry provides a huge boost to your immune system. People make elderberry syrup and elderberry jam. I'd ordered some freeze-dried elderberries from nuts.com. (I always get my big chunky coconut chips from nuts.com, too) They look like little freeze-dried blueberries, but they aren't as sweet.

I wanted to make a paleo elderberry cocoa bark, so I did. It's good.
 I melted 2/3 cup coconut oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. I took it off the heat and added:

3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
2 TBSP honey (pure maple syrup or real agave nectar would work, too)
2 tsp real vanilla
 I stirred this up and then added:
3/4 cup coconut chips ( the chunky coconut from nuts.com)
1/4 cup freeze-dried elderberries, optional (goji berries or nuts would be nice, too, if you don't have elderberries on hand)

I poured this mixture onto a foil-covered cookie and spread it out. I think I'll use wax paper next time, though. 


Anyway, I popped it into the freezer so it would set up. I left it about 30 minutes. Then I took it out and broke it up and put it in a freezer bag.  Most of us around here loved it, but if elderberry is new to you, you might not want to eat too much of it at a time. It's been known to make a few people nauseous, so that's my disclaimer. It's also known to cure nausea, so who knows? Maybe I will try to come up with something with cooked elderberry as an ingredient - that might make a difference.