Monday, November 19, 2012

Paleo Deer Chili


First of all, let it be said that Darren Roberts is a fine man with a heart of gold. ( Thanks for the deer, Pnut.) Next, let me say that I would rather have a deer in my freezer than in the road in front of my car! I've taken out one deer with a car, and almost killed 4 others this way.

I've made this deer chili twice now and we eat every single bite.

I thawed and cooked up 3 lbs of ground deer burger. I put the following spices on it as it cooked:
2 TBSP cumin
1TBSP minced garlic
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp chipotle chili pepper

While that cooked, I put the following things into my big stock pot:
1 48 oz container of tomato juice
2 big cans of diced tomatoes

When the ground deer was done, I put it into the stock pot, and cooked 2 yellow, sweet organic diced onions with a TBSP of coconut oil in the same skillet, fro just a few minutes and then put them into the pot. The last thing to go in was 2 cups of organic carrots that I'd peeled, cut, and cooked the night before. ( If you are are doing this all the same night, just throw the carrots in and cook them in the tomato juice while you brown the meat.)

I let it simmer for 15 minutes to blend all the flavors.

It makes a BIG amount of chili. You can freeze it. You can feed it to friends. You can eat it for days.


Here's a pic from the Halloween WOD at CrossFit Countdown. That's Darren on the left, as 1/3 of Duck Dynasty. (Shannon and Angie were the other 2/3 lol!)

No comments:

Post a Comment