Sunday, August 26, 2012

Paleo Dark Chocolate Heaven


When Ger first saw this cake, he said, "Mom, you can't put that on the blog - the chocolate chips aren't paleo." I told him they were optional and were 62% dark chocolate. He proceeded to eat 2 huge pieces - just sayin'...

So, I have been tweaking my recipe that's from way back in my family, trying to make it paleo AND really good.  The first one - we wound up calling Chocolate Smoosh, so I tried it again, adjusting a couple of things since it wasn't quite what I was looking for. But, THIS IS IT.


I took 2 TBSP Kerry Gold Pasture Butter, melted and mixed it in with 1/2 cup agave nectar. ( the real stuff, or honey, or pure maple syrup)
Next, I stirred in 1 egg, 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1 tsp vanilla. I mixed this well and set it aside.

Next I mixed my dry ingredients well in a different bowl:
2 TSBP coconut flour
1 cup almond flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 TBSP dark cocoa
1 cup unsweetened coconut ( i used the unsweetened coconut chips, which are chunks, from nuts.com.)
After mixing the dry ingredients well, mix them into the wet mixture. Mix and spread into a 9 inch square baking dish that's been rubbed with coconut oil.

Next, I put the topping on:
I sprinkled evenly 2 TBSP cocoa and
1/2 cup pecan pieces (optional)
This pic shows how it looked at this point.


The last step might seem very odd, but you are going to have to trust me here. I haven't steered you wrong yet!  I boiled 1 cup of water, and poured it over all the cake.
I baked it for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

When it came out of the oven, I quickly sprinkled 1/2 cup Ghirardelli 60% cacao dark chocolate chips on the top so they would melt some.

It's so good, you won't even miss the sugar. That's why I call it my Paleo Dark Chocolate Heaven!

Cheree hired me to make John one of these for his 40th birthday. This was after a nutrition lecture by Jeremy Mullins at CrossFit Countdown. Happy Birthday, John!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you made it! I know your husband is a sugar-hound, so if he liked it, it really says a lot!

    ReplyDelete