Friday, December 27, 2013

Slow Cooker Lamb Shoulder


Just because the holidays are over doesn't mean you can't make a very special meal now and then. This one is pretty impressive..... and it's easy!
 I was at Sam's to get pomegranates and saw that they had their boneless lamb roasts marked down since it was right after Christmas. The date was still good, so I brought one home. (I've eaten lamb but I hadn't cooked it.)  I wanted to do a slow cooker recipe because I had a long to-do list for the rest of my day......So, this is what I did:
I put the following items into the slow cooker:

1 cup chicken stock
1 red onion, chopped
2 orange peppers, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 tsp garlic gold nuggets (or minced garlic)
1 TBSP coconut oil

Next, I cut the string off the lamb meat and laid it in the slow cooker, on top of the vegetables and broth with the fattiest side up. ( It weighed almost 4 lbs)  I sprinkled this with:

2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp mint
2 tsp smoked sea salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste

I cooked it for 5 hours on high. It would also work with 10 hours on low - I would have done that if it hadn't already been later in the day.

It was delicious and a nice change.


No comments:

Post a Comment