Sunday, December 8, 2013

Ham Pineapple and Broccoli in Acorn Squash


I had Ger cut two acorn squash into halves. I cut out the seeds and stringy stuff in the centers and laid them in a pan, cut side down, with 1/2 inch water. I put them into a 425 degree oven for 45 minutes.

I cut 2 big ham steaks into bite-sized pieces and cooked them over medium heat in a large skillet with 2 TBSP of coconut oil and 1/2 cup water. I put a lid on it and stirred often. When the ham steak bites were tender, I set the lid aside.
(If you really want to make this recipe fast, use the precooked ham steaks, instead of right out of a local farm-raised pig, like mine, but go for quality meat, always. I also like to put the big round bone in there and then give it to Mikko. He loves that.)

Next, I cut up one head of broccoli and one fresh pineapple, into bite-sized pieces and put them into the skillet.
I added:
 1  1/2 tsp smoked sea salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Gold Nuggets (garlicgold.com)
1/2 tsp red pepper (cayenne)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

I let that cook until the broccoli was cooked, but not mushy.
I took the acorn squash halves out of the oven and placed them on plates. I filled the center with the ham, pineapple, and broccoli mixture.
Ger went back for seconds - that's always a good sign......

No comments:

Post a Comment