Sunday, September 8, 2013

Paleo Island Crunch


I love my Pumpkin Paleo Crunch. Love it. People tell me how great it is. People eat it with coconut milk when they are craving cereal. I love my Paleo Apple Pecan Crunch, too, Yum! 

I wanted to make a new one that's all tropical and "island-y."  So, on this beautiful September Sunday, I worked on this new recipe. I have to tell you, I absolutely love it!


I put the following ingredients into a huge bowl:


1  1/2 cups macadamia nut pieces
1  1/2 cups almond flour (I like unblanched)
3 cups unsweetened coconut chips ( you know I love the big chunky kind from nuts.com)
2 cups pecans, broken into pieces ( sometimes I do 1 cup sunflower seeds and 1 cup pumpkin seeds, instead)
2/3 cup walnut pieces

2 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of sea salt
1 cup freeze-dried pineapple (Crunchies brand has no sugar)
1/2 cup dried banana chips (look for ones without sugar)
1/2 cup dried mango ( again, no sugar, if you can find it. I cut mine up with scissors since it was in big pieces)

I stirred that up so the baking soda was intermixed in all the ingredients.

I put the following ingredients in a small bowl:
1 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup local honey ( if you use raw honey, heat it just a bit until liquid)
1 TBSP vanilla

I whisked the wet ingredients and then stirred them into the dry ones in the huge bowl.


I spread this mixture out on two big heavy-duty cookie sheets. (If you don't have big ones, you may need 3 cookie sheets - you don't want the mixture TOO thick when you spread it out)
I baked them for an hour in a 250 degree oven - yes, 250 - low heat because we are looking for the crunch!
Then I took them out and stirred them and spread them back out and put them back into the oven for another 20 minutes.


Just wait until you throw a bite in your mouth that has macadamia nut, pecan, pineapple, and mango, and coconut..... it may be my absolute favorite! Let me know if it's yours, too.





I love this photo of Ger working towards his 2013 1st place finish in Toronto at the Outlaw Pro Invitational.





No comments:

Post a Comment