Saturday, March 9, 2013

Beet Juice Chocolate Cake


In honor of Wod 13.1 in the CrossFit Open, I made up a beet juice chocolate cake. I know how healthy beet juice is for oxygen intake AND I know that chefs make Red Velvet Cake with beet juice when they have concerns about red dye.
It did not taste like beets! ( you know that earth-taste that beet juice has?)
I rubbed coconut oil on a 9 x 13 baking dish.

I combined the dry ingredients:
3 cups almond flour
2 TBSP coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 TBSP saigon cinnamon
1/4 cup cocoa

I combined the wet ingredients:
 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup raw honey (or agave nectar, or maple syrup - interchangeable, so pick your favorite)
2 organic eggs
1/2 cup beet juice
1 TBSP real vanilla
1/2 tsp all natural butter extract (optional)


I mixed the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stirred with a wooden spoon. This batter was reddish-brown and fairly thick. I put it into the prepared dish and pressed it down with the wooden spoon.
I baked it at 350 degrees for  30 minutes.

In a little saucepan I made the glaze. I put:
3 TBSP coconut oil
2 TBSP dark cocoa
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
(optional; 1 tsp pasture butter from grass-fed cows, or a handful of Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips - but I knew Ger wouldn't want that in there...)

I order my Biotta beet juice from vitacost.com because I can't buy it anywhere around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment