Friday, April 3, 2015

When Fight Gone Bad Went Bad



My first Fight Gone Bad went…..bad. Really bad. I think my score was maybe 17.  I fell backwards off a box jump and put my hands back. It was a concrete floor, no mats - it was before Crossfit Countdown opened.  I broke BOTH bones in BOTH wrists and my tailbone. My elbows were only bruised and my head missed a kettle bell by inches. 

As I realized Fight Gone Bad was still going on around me, I brought my wrists into my body…automatically. Not a good idea. That was the worst part. I…flapped…an inch and a half above my wrists. 

Needless to say, I messed up a lot of people’s workouts that day and while I waited for the EMTs, I kept crying and saying, “I’m sorry, Ger. I’m so sorry.” He must have thought I was crazy but I thought for sure no one would want to be coached by him ever again. I’m so glad that wasn’t the case.

That was over 3 years ago and I learned some things from the experience:

  1. I was exhausted. I wasn’t listening to my body. (I was supposed to fly to Florida the next morning and wasn’t packed but I wanted to get one more WOD in before I left.)
  2. I wasn’t paying attention. I wasn’t focused on the WOD even though I knew I should leave any stresses or worries at the bay door.
  3. I shouldn’t have tried to go from an 18 inch box jump to a 20 right before Fight Gone Bad.
  4. I learned to focus more on, and eventually love, endurance WODs.

Hindsight is 20/20. Take my advice:

 Listen.
 Pay attention.
 Leave your stress at the door. 

Also, when your OTs tell you to go home and sit down because you have osteoporosis and are breakable, go back to Crossfit ASAP. You might progress farther than you could imagine.  I know I did. (My left wrist is weird-looking and one bone is too long, but I get by)


Thanks, Ger. 
Love, 
mom


No comments:

Post a Comment