Saturday, March 14, 2015

Spanish Chicken Stew


I rowed 200 calories at the box today. While rowing I enjoyed watching some amazing tenacity and "engine" on 15.3 from some of our Crossfit Countdown family. I watched some seriously good coaching. I listened to the laughter and shouts of encouragement over the driving music. It was a very nice morning. I'd pulled 200 calories on that rower before I got anywhere close to miserable.

This Spanish Chicken Stew was a well-received by my crew and now I've found time to share it with you.

I put these ingredients in this order into a slow cooker:

1 TBSP coconut oil
4 large organic chicken breasts
2 green peppers, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
1/3 cup sliced almonds (I've also used pecans)
1/3 cup green olives (optional; this is in classic Spanish chicken stew, but I never put them in...)
1  4 oz can of green chiles
1  4 oz can of jalapeƱos
1/2 cup chicken bone broth (or chicken stock)
1  28 oz can organic diced tomatoes
1  6 oz can tomato paste
2 TBSP Garlic Gold Nuggets (or 1fresh garlic clove, minced)
2 tsp cumin
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp oregano
fresh cilantro, chopped (also optional; I just have tons of it growing in my Aerogarden)

I cooked this all day on low while I was at work, 9-10 hours.  I ran two forks in opposite directions through the cooked chicken breasts before serving just to shred it. I served it with some quinoa.

Here's a photo of the leftovers prepped for lunches, along with the quinoa and a little fresh parsley.




No comments:

Post a Comment