Sunday, March 8, 2015

Peanut Butter Haystacks



So, the Open 2015 is going well and I hope you check out Gerald Sasser on the Mid Atlantic Leaderboard. He's in fourth right now.  (ok, so now you don't have to check the leaderboard... I just can't help myself - proud mom) Ger, Cassie, and Mikko are coming over for dinner tomorrow, so the crock pot is prepped and I made these Peanut Butter Haystacks this afternoon. You can make them with Almond Butter if you want them to be more paleo, but I just bought some amazing new organic peanut butter.....


I put the following ingredients in a medium saucepan on the stove:

 1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup raw honey, (or local honey)

 I turned it on medium heat until it boiled, then made sure to boil it for another minute.

I took it off the heat and added:

 1/3 cup organic peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
1 tsp real vanilla.

I stirred until it was mixed well.

I added:
 2 cups Unsweetened Organic Coconut Chips (nuts.com) Unsweetened shredded coconut would be fine too but I love the chunky stuff.
 I stirred the coconut in.

I used a cookie scoop to quickly put the "haystacks" out onto parchment paper that was on a cookie sheet. Then I popped them into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. 
This recipe made 15 haystacks.

Monica had come by for a kombucha scoby so she got to be my taste-tester. I'm so glad she liked them and she thinks Gary will, too. (I sent her home with a couple of these haystacks and some dill, cilantro, parsley, and mint, along with her scoby.)

You also might like Pumpkin Raisin Haystacks and Paleo Haystacks which are chocolaty from cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment