Sunday, March 8, 2015

Peanut Butter Haystacks



So, the Open 2015 is going well and I hope you check out Gerald Sasser on the Mid Atlantic Leaderboard. He's in fourth right now.  (ok, so now you don't have to check the leaderboard... I just can't help myself - proud mom) Ger, Cassie, and Mikko are coming over for dinner tomorrow, so the crock pot is prepped and I made these Peanut Butter Haystacks this afternoon. You can make them with Almond Butter if you want them to be more paleo, but I just bought some amazing new organic peanut butter.....


I put the following ingredients in a medium saucepan on the stove:

 1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup raw honey, (or local honey)

 I turned it on medium heat until it boiled, then made sure to boil it for another minute.

I took it off the heat and added:

 1/3 cup organic peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
1 tsp real vanilla.

I stirred until it was mixed well.

I added:
 2 cups Unsweetened Organic Coconut Chips (nuts.com) Unsweetened shredded coconut would be fine too but I love the chunky stuff.
 I stirred the coconut in.

I used a cookie scoop to quickly put the "haystacks" out onto parchment paper that was on a cookie sheet. Then I popped them into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. 
This recipe made 15 haystacks.

Monica had come by for a kombucha scoby so she got to be my taste-tester. I'm so glad she liked them and she thinks Gary will, too. (I sent her home with a couple of these haystacks and some dill, cilantro, parsley, and mint, along with her scoby.)

You also might like Pumpkin Raisin Haystacks and Paleo Haystacks which are chocolaty from cocoa.