Sunday, February 2, 2014

Paleo Spinach Pizza



This paleo pizza is rustic and spinachy. The only protein is in the eggs, 3 in the paleo crust and 1 in the spinach mixture. I point this out so you can decide if this is enough for you, or if you want to add your favorite protein to it.
So, the crust is my concoction you may have tried before with my "Paleo Pizza with Sun Dried Peppers and Bacon." This is what I did:

In a large mixing bowl I stirred the dry ingredients:

1 cup almond flour
1/4  cup coconut flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp rosemary
1 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Then I whisked in the wet ingredients:
3 eggs
3 TBSP olive oil (or macadamia oil)
1/2 cup organic coconut milk from a can

I spread this gooey mixture on parchment paper on a cookie sheet with a rubber spatula.

I baked this in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.  (Then I turned the oven down to 350 degrees...)

While the crust was baking, I put less than 1/4 cup olive oil in a skillet over medium low heat. It was probably 6 TBSP. ( 1/4 cup is 8 TBSP)
I added a 10 oz container of organic baby spinach to the skillet, a couple of handfuls at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon until all the spinach was cooked down and covered. I added 5 pieces of sun dried tomatoes and 4 shitake mushrooms, chopped to the spinach mixture.
Next, I took the skillet off the heat and added:
1 TBSP coconut milk
1 egg

I stirred this up and then tipped the skillet so that the most of the liquid would run to the low end of the skillet. ( I didn't want too much moisture on the crust from this mixture.
When the crust was done, I added the spinach mixture over the top of the crust. 
I sprinkled 1 TBSP minced garlic, 1 tsp smoked sea salt, and several cherry tomatoes, chopped, over the top. 

The pizza went into a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Sometimes I shave a little KerryGold cheese, from grass-fed cows, over one end of the pizza, for Isaac.


No comments:

Post a Comment