Thursday, May 23, 2013

Paleo Pizza with Sun Dried Peppers and Bacon


I've been tweaking the paleo pizza crust that's sweet and heavy from so much almond flour. This is a very nice change. It uses some almond flour but also coconut flour and arrowroot powder, which seem to lighten things up!

In a large mixing bowl I stirred the dry ingredients:

1 cup almond flour
1/4  cup coconut flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp rosemary
1 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Then I whisked in the wet ingredients:
3 eggs
3 TBSP olive oil (or macadamia oil)
1/2 cup organic coconut milk from a can

I spread this gooey mixture on parchment paper on a cookie sheet with a rubber spatula.

See my spatula marks? It doesn't feel like our old pizza dough. (grain is bad...grain is bad for us....)

I baked this in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. Then I took it out and thought about what to top it with.  I'd bought sun dried peppers and sun dried tomatoes with a pizza in mind........ I love nuts.com!


6-7 TBSP organic pasta sauce that has no sugar in the ingredients
6 sliced sun dried peppers (try the ones from nuts.com - they are amazing)
4 sun dried tomatoes (yes, nuts.com, although these were a little too salty for my taste...)
1 fresh yellow sweet pepper, diced
4 slices cooked and crumbled uncured bacon
a tiny sprinkling of grated cheese (I was out of BallyShannon so I used a nice Pecorino Romano)

I put the pizza back into the oven, still at 375 degrees, for 10 more minutes.

Isaac has already asked me to make this again tomorrow. I think I'd better double it........

No comments:

Post a Comment