Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Paleo Coconut Pistachio Macaroons


So, Tina brought me a coconut macaroon to taste and try to tweak. It needed to be moister and stick together better. You see, Tina, Mike, John, and Cheree ate coconut macaroons off the paleo food truck at the Games for a week and they were obsessed.  Tina made some when she got home but thought I could make it better. She knows I love a paleo challenge.

I rubbed coconut oil on a heavy cookie sheet and set it aside.
In a big bowl I put 3 TBSP raw honey, 4 TBSP warm water, and 1 tsp vanilla. I stirred it up very well.
Next I added 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut and 1/2 cup shelled pistachios. I stirred that in quickly.
I broke 2 organic eggs into a small bowl and stirred them up with a fork. Then I put this mixture into the macaroon mixture and mixed it up with a wooden spoon.

I used my Pampered Chef cookie scoop to make my macaroons and put them on the cookie sheet. It made 18. They were about the size of a golf ball. I pressed the mixture into the cookie scoop with my thumb before releasing them onto the cookie sheet so they would be more compacted. ( if yours spread out, just smoosh them back into little hills....)

I cooked them in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes. They were moist and tasty. Jessica said all they needed was dark chocolate chips! ( I am going to have to try that!) (THAT recipe is on this blog now, too)

Now, let's talk about coconut. You want unsweetened coconut and they don't have it at our Wal-Mart, and the Kroger brand one is dry and unflavorful. So, online, my favorite is from nuts.com.  I use the organic coconut "chips", the big chunky stuff.  The chips are like bigger pieces just "chipped" out of the coconut.


No comments:

Post a Comment