Sunday, October 27, 2013

Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars


Don't you just love all things with pumpkin this time of year? We do. I'd been kicking around the idea of these Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars for a couple of weeks, and decided that this weekend it was going to become a moist, cinnamon-ny pumpkin reality. They are not too sweet. They are just right. They fill a 9 x 12 glass baking dish.  Make them yourself, and see if you don't agree with me.

I started with the crust. I stirred up the following ingredients in a big bowl:

3 cups almond meal ( I use unblanched)
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup + 1 TBSP coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup honey  (if you use raw honey, like I do, you will need to warm it a bit so it's a liquid)
1 TBSP + 1 tsp vanilla

I stirred this up with a wooden spoon and pressed it down in a 9 x 12 glass baking dish.
I baked it in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.


                                         It looked like this. I let it cool some while I mixed up the Pumpkin Pie part.

I rinsed the big bowl, and put it to use again for the top layer with the following ingredients:

2 cans organic pumpkin puree
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3 eggs
1/2 cup raw honey, warmed to a liquid
1 cup organic coconut milk from a can

I mixed all this up with a wooden spoon and then poured it onto the top of the crust layer.

I baked it in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.  I let it sit for a good while on a wire rack, to cool set up some before I tried to slice and serve it. (You should, too!)


I might have to make this for Thanksgiving, too, and Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment