Sunday, April 1, 2012

Roasted Rosemary Chicken in a Dutch Oven

This is before going into the oven. Can you see the lemons peaking out? 
I love my bright green dutch oven - it was worth every penny!

I took a free-range, organic chicken, almost 4 lbs and rinsed it and took the packet out of it.
I rubbed the bottom of my dutch oven with coconut oil. I cut up a red onion and threw it in. I put the chicken in on top of the onion.

 I took 2 lemons and rolled them on the counter to loosen the juice and then put several cuts in each one with a knife. Then I put the 2 lemons into the cavity of the chicken along with some fresh rosemary. You can use dried rosemary, too - still delicious.

 Next, I loosened the skin of the chicken on top and slid 2 stalks of fresh rosemary under the skin. I put some between the legs, too. I salted and peppered the top of the bird, then poured 1/4 cup olive oil on the bird. I added 3/4 cup of basic chicken stock, some carrots and whole mushrooms all around the edges.
 I put the lid on and shoved it into a 450 degree oven for an hour.

Then, I turned it down to 350 degrees for another 20 minutes. If your chicken isn't as big as mine, you might not need this extra time. Just get in there and slice the breast to make sure it's done.
My house smelled so amazing. This chicken is crazy-good and good for us, too!
It smelled so good that I forgot all about shooting a pic while it was still in my lovely green dutch oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment