Sunday, October 5, 2014

Roasted Chestnuts


"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."
 Most people know the holiday song, but how many of you know where a chestnut tree is?  I'm glad I do. Kim invited me over to pick up some chestnuts so I took Panera salads, we had lunch, and then we picked up 10 lbs of these big fresh chestnuts. Her dog, Raleigh, probably ate a lb or so, too. Aren't they beautiful?



I have some in the fridge - I've read they are good for about a month like that.
I have quart freezer bags in the freezer, too. They're good for 4 months or so.


Here's how I roasted chestnuts:

I cut an X into each chestnut. I was going to choose nice big heavy-feeling chestnuts, but they all fit that description! I made sure that I cut deep enough into the chestnuts that I got all the way through the shell. I did this on the most flat side of each one.

I rubbed coconut oil on them and placed them on a baking sheet. I put them into a 425 degree oven for 12 minutes. During this roasting time, the shells curled back.

After taking them out of the oven, I let them cool for 10 minutes, so they were still warm but not too hot. This was the perfect time to peel back the shell and brown skin.

I love them warm and served beside a little smoked sea salt to dip them in.

I know they are starchy but they also have a lot of nutrients and I think they are yummy!

I watched the National Pro GRID League Final while eating them today - Ger's SanFrancisco Fire team took on the DC Brawlers on NBC today in the first GRID final. #gridfan #gridmom

Ger and Cassie are flying home today. I know everyone at the box is so excited to have them home.





No comments:

Post a Comment